Sunday, July 11, 2010

Halibut Fishing in Homer

Saturday, July 10 - We woke up to raindrops this morning, of course, but got our act together and headed to Tim's.  It was a really long day, but we got to catch some halibut.  And would you believe I got seasick!!!  That fits nowhere in my schedule of life!  Mazie wore a patch behind her ear, just in case, but I was so sure I would be fine that, of course, I did nothing.  The ride out was fine, although it was probably 2 hours and pretty choppy.  But once we stopped, I started getting nauseous pretty quick.  I ended up puking my guts out 3 times, but other than that it was a fine day.

This is the Homer harbor.  It was pretty calm here, and not too busy.

We saw this good-sized starfish right by the boat ramp while we were waiting for Tim to back the boat trailer down. Boy, does he have a day ahead of him with this motley crew!

Tim has a wonderful boat.  Joe and Mazie are trying to figure out how to convert it for crappie fishing at Roosevelt Lake.  It was very comfortable, and the back deck was great to fish from.


He got the boat in the water and here he comes, ready to take us out.  He's still sort of smiling at this point.
We saw some sea otters, just floating on their backs.  One we saw had a shellfish or something he was holding.  We also saw a few whales, but we were never able to find them to get a photo.  We got on Tim's case for losing the whales all the time.
So after about 2 hours of bucking the waves, Tim stopped and got Joe's line in the water first.  Joe caught a halibut immediately.  In fact, he wasn't sure if he was just hitting the bottom, or if he actually had a fish.  He was fishing with 2-lb. weight, and it is hard to tell the difference.  But he landed the first fish, which was a great start to the day.  Paul, I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of it on the end of Joe's line, but you can still get the idea.
This was Mazie's first time to go halibut fishing, and she was thrilled.  She missed a couple fish before she finally brought one in, but she was so excited when she did.
Tim did not get to do much fishing.  Between baiting our hooks, getting our lines untangled, checking our lines to confirm whether we really had a fish, and getting our catch into the "fish hole," we kept him pretty busy.  You can see him hitting the fish with a bat to settle it down so it wouldn't flop around so much.  With temperatures so low up here, they don't have to keep the fish alive, or on ice, so they put them into these "holes" in the boats.  The hole is under the metal plate you see in the picture.  This is Mazie's fish he's beating on.
Joe caught the first two fish, then I brought one in, but they were all pretty small so we let them go.  Mazie questioned us on that, and when she brought in her first one, she told Tim to "keep it!"
She was very proud of herself for being able to land it.

Fishing with a 2-lb weight really makes that pole heavy, so it's a fight, even though the halibut don't give you a fight.  They are mostly dead weight, with maybe a little pull every once in a while when they jerk their head.  We were fishing 132 feet down here, so it takes a while to get the line reeled in.    Throughout the day, we fished somewhere between 125 and 220 at different times.  I had a hard time getting my line to go straight down, so at one point Tim blessed me with a 3-lb weight.  I gave him a hard time about that the rest of the day.  I told him I wanted a push-button retrieve on my pole so I wouldn't have to do all that reeling.

The second fish I brought in I kept, because by then I was feeling pretty rotten.  Shortly after that I quit fishing for a few hours, spending my time throwing up instead.  Yuk. 

As I said, we kept Tim busy.  During my "down time," I was bat girl and gaff handler for Tim part of the time.
We moved to different spots drift-fishing as the day wore on, trying to be in the right place for the tide change.  We never anchored anywhere, but sometimes he would have to start the boat up and take us back where we had started from, since we drifted a long ways pretty quick.  Wendy, this picture is for you.
Mazie landed another fish.  The three of us each caught 3, but Joe threw 2 back, and I threw 1 back.  My last one was a flounder though, instead of a halibut.  I'm not sure how many Tim caught, I guess just 1, because we brought home 6 halibut plus 1 flounder.
Here's Mazie working hard, trying to reel in her fish.  Our arms were sore by the time the day was over.  It was also pretty chilly out there.

We finally moved to calmer water and I started feeling human again.  Tim fixed me up with a different set-up and just had me jigging (with a light weight on).  I landed a flounder.  Tim wasn't sure he wanted his picture taken with my flounder, but we talked him into it.  I guess he thought his reputation was at stake.
We finally gave up on fishing and Tim took us around some of the bays to do some sightseeing.  We spotted another whale and some sea otters during this ride.  Finally, we went back to the harbor to load the boat and clean the fish.  There was an old eagle presiding over the harbor.  It let me get pretty close before it flew.  It seemed to think it was in charge of this area.
So here's our catch, and Tim giving Joe a cleaning lesson.  Joe wasn't too sure about this, and it was 8:30 at night, we were tired, and it was cold.  But being the trouper that he is, he stood right there and helped Tim with every one, including the flounder.
By the time we got done and headed to McDonald's in Homer, it was 10:00 p.m., and we still had a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to get back to Tim's.  The good part of that drive was that we saw 8 moose along the way.  Joe kept telling Tim not to point them out because he thought I would have him out driving every night between 10 and midnight, looking for moose (or bear, or whatever).

It was a long day.  We got to Tim's at 6:30 a.m., and we got home at 12:06 a.m.  It was 47 degrees, and we were exhausted.  But Tim was absolutely great.  He's a really nice guy and was fun to get to know.  I'm not sure he would say the same about us, but hopefully he would.  (He also has lilac bushes blooming in his front yard, but I was too tired to pick any.)

But here's the best part.  Tonight (Sunday), David fried up some of our fresh halibut and we had a wonderful fish dinner.  See that bite David is just about to put in his mouth -- it was delicious!

2 comments:

  1. There is something ironic about fishing all day and catching some then going to McDonald's to eat. That is unless they have Halibut fish sandwiches in Alaska.

    Jim and Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. well.... Mom (Joy) can relate Wilma, I remember hearing stories about her puking also i'm really thinking it comes with the territory. I also remember her saying that they told her to look towards the shoreline. Looks just delicious totally freaking JEALOUS!!

    ReplyDelete