Monday, July 12, 2010

Sunday in Soldotna

Sunday, July 11 - After our marathon day yesterday, we took it  easy today for the most part.  I did the laundry first thing, to wash our fishy-smelling jackets and clothes.  Mazie and I went to the grocery store.  We repacked the halibut for our freezers (we only kept about half of it because we didn't have any more room in our small refrigerator-freezers -- we left the rest with Tim.)  David fixed the fish for our wonderful dinner.  Then we drove up the road a little ways to fish for red salmon in the Kenai River.  But we kept getting snagged and Joe had to break our lines for us, since we are using really heavy line, and he broke the tip of Mazie's pole trying to break her line, so we came back to camp to fish right here at the campground, hoping we wouldn't snag as much.  But it was the same situation, we snagged again right away, so we lost our three weights we had purchased and then just quit.  At least we can say we fished the Kenai, we just don't have to say for how long.

We were all happy to have an early night, since we are moving down the road toward Homer tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. I sure wish we were there. Especially at dinner time!! The forecast didn't look too promising when I checked on Friday, so I'm glad to see you got to go out on the boat. That looks like a lot of fun. Except for the seasickness.

    A couple pressing questions–does the sun ever shine two days in a row? And, is there a furry stuffed halibut or flounder headed toward your traveling zoo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the sun does shine two days in a row, but I don't know if it does in the same place. When we moved away from the coast today, we have sunshine and temps around 70. Might have to get out the short pants!

    I tried to buy a stuffed puffin and Joe told me we weren't doing birds,so I'm guessing the answer will be the same for the fish. (I found a really cool Raven back in Fairbanks, but we didn't buy it.) Although I have not seen a furry halibut! But I'll start looking, just in case he changes his mind.

    ReplyDelete