Friday, August 14, 2015

Arriving Quebec City (8/13/2015)

We de-camped and got on the road about 9:00, with a first stop at a nearby propane yard.  I think we paid $3.52/gallon for the propane.  We stayed along the St. Lawrence River on 132, with a couple of detours for road construction, and picked up the 20 to cross the river on 73.  We drove 197 miles but they were hard miles -- lots of little villages, narrow bumpy roads, lots of road construction.  We did catch a glimpse of a ship on the river but no place to pull over to watch it.  We fueled for $1.124/liter.  Somewhere along the way we lost Collins and Marilyn, I think they missed a turn on the detour and came out on the 20 much before we did.  And when we got to our campground, Marilyn called and said the address that she had put in her GPS wasn't the right one, and they had gone way north, so they had a rough day.  But we finally all got together at the right campground. 

On our drive, I saw one of these big arm chairs that I have seen all summer but never caught a photo.  They have been painted various colors and are sometimes sitting close to the road.  You can see in this photo that the car beside it is much smaller than the chair.
They still have a few phone booths in Canada, and I took a picture of one of those too.  Later I saw another one in the city of Quebec.
We went through one little village where they had built shelters for the kids to await the school buses.  I only saw these in this one town, but I thought they made good sense (I also thought I should have had one when I lived at Claypool when I was a kid).

Just before we got to the bridge, we passed a passenger train stopped on a side rail.  I think it was the one that takes people all across Canada.  We later saw another train heading toward it so I don't know if they were going to hook them up or not.

We crossed the bridge and headed to our campground, arriving about 4:00.  Traffic going the opposite direction was pretty heavy so we were glad we were not in all that.  Our campground is pretty nice, and right on a little river.  Our spots are grassy and we have a little room.  We even sat out for happy hour with Dave and Mazie while we waited for the Brundiges to show up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment