Monday, July 24, 2017

7/24/2017 - Bypassing Seattle

Monday - On the road again, we left our campground about 9:05, fueled at the Costco, and were on our way.  We took I-5 to the 405 bypass, and traffic for the first 40 miles was fine.  But once we got past Tacoma, we hit slowdowns that lasted mostly for the next couple of hours.  We could see Seattle's highrise buildings in the distance, but we didn't passb real close to them.


I could see a snow-capped mountain off to the east along here, couldn't hold the camera steady enough to get a photo.  I think it might have been Glacier Peak.  As we got near our exit on I-5, there was another snow-capped mountain north of us, and I think it is Mt. Baker.

We got to our campground in Stanwood, Washington, maybe 10 miles west of the interstate, about 12:30.  It's a nice enough county park, and there is a lake right here too, Lake Goodwin.  Joe and I drove back to I-5 for dinner (pizza slices at Costco, how exciting is that), and then took a walk around the campground and down to the lake when we got back, since Collins wasn't up for a card game.  I even got my feet wet.

Joe got a nice photo of the sunset over the lake.  This was about 8:30.
We drove 108 miles today but it took about 3 hours.  We had sunshine when we woke up this morning, no marine mist.  And it was pretty warm when we got to our campground, probably mid-80s.  But it cools off nicely in the evenings. 

We made some future arrangements today.  Collins booked us tours at the Boeing plant tomorrow afternoon, and Joe and I have reservations for a city tour of Seattle on Wednesday.  We are still hoping to get on the ferry on Friday to Victoria Island. 

I understand we had a good rainstorm at home this morning, which is good news.  Tiffany texted me pictures of river flowing under our bridge, so we must have had a couple of inches of rain.  Sorry to have missed that excitement. 



1 comment:

  1. Mesa got 1.5 inches of rain and Apache Junction got 2.5 inches. It was a good rain day!

    ReplyDelete