Saturday, July 8, 2017

7/8/2017 - Sisters Quilt Show

Saturday - Well, today was the 42nd Annual Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show.  This is advertised as the largest outdoor quilt show in the world, with over 1,200 quilts on display.  And it lived up to its reputation.  Dorothy had told us about this show when we were still in the planning stages of our trip, but I put it on the calendar just in case we were in the area.  Well, it worked out, and we got to attend -- Collins, Marilyn, Mazie and I, with tour guide Roxanne and Ken.  We were met with significant crowds when we arrived about 9:00, and the crowds increased all day long.  And the temperature got pretty close to 95, so it was a hot one.

Roxanne started our tour at the Community Hall of the Sisters Firehouse building which housed the traveling exhibit of The Lion King.  This was a big deal.  Participants from all over the world were challenged to design an original 20"x20" quilt with just two basic colors - gold and black.  Over 300 entries were received, all held together by the cohesive color, size and suede texture of the Cherrywood fabric.  Additional accent colors of Cherrywood fabrics could be added, as well as embellishments.  So I took a few pictures of these quilt panels.



Bridgette is a big Lion King fan and has taken her babies to see the production at Disney World, so I sent her a few pictures.

Then we started checking out the quilts.  There were several rows hung in a big barn-type building, and the rest were displayed on the sides of shops, in front and inside of shops, basically all up and down the 3 main streets.  We didn't see them all, but we saw a lot.


These next ones were some of my personal favorites.

 This one of the cowboy boots was quilted by a grandmother, inspired by her granddaughter.
These two baby quilts also caught my eye.
 I thought Andrew would like this one of fish bowls, since they all had very colorful fish inside the fish bowl.
There was a clock shop here in Sisters that Mazie had picked out to see, and we knew Collins would want to see it.  There were some unique clocks on display here, as well as some unique quilts. This first picture is an overview shot I took from the upstairs balcony.



Next up was a section of quilts that had been quilted by men.  I picked out one small quilt that I really liked. No, I didn't buy it.  None of us bought anything (except ice cream).
There was some talent here, and I see that one of the men quilters is going to be a featured speaker tomorrow.

On the way to the park for our picnic lunch, we spotted a tiny house on a trailer on the street.  I wanted to see if they were doing tours of it but I didn't get back over there.
Also on the way to the park we passed a young musician entertaining the passers-by.  Later, I saw two other girls playing instruments (ukeleles, I think) and singing, for tips, I guess.
I picked out a couple of quilts that I thought really had the WOW factor going.

Finally we all regrouped and had our picnic lunch in the park.  Sitting in the shade was comfortable, but in the sun it was pretty hot.

Here's Collins at the quilt show, after lunch.
Actually, he did walk some of the show, went back to the Lion King exhibit, and had a tour of the clock shop.

I walked over to the restroom and saw these bike lockers.  Roxanne said the town had built these outdoor restrooms, which are pretty nice and she thought some of them had showers, for the bikers who come through town.  So the bike lockers make sense.

We were winding down, Mazie and I were looking for the ice cream shop, but we did continue along, checking out quilts and going in some of the shops.  I really liked the colors in this next quilt.
Then we came upon the shop that made log furniture that I had picked out of our literature, so we walked in there.  They had some georgous pieces, for the right cabin.  They also had some cute bird houses made out of old cowboy boots.

Mazie and I had our ice cream, we said our goodbyes and thank yous to Roxanne, and started working our way back to the car.  We were all hot and tired, and ready to head for home.  But it was quite an experience, one that we wouldn't have wanted to miss.

Collins stopped at a farmers market on the way home, then we all went to our respective campers.  I took a nap, and I'm pretty sure Collins did too.  But Joe and I drove back into town for dinner -- it was too hot to cook, and then we played cards with the Brundiges.  David lost power at his RV and said that entire row had lost power, but the RV beside him was leaving and he still had 30 amp power, so the campground host told David just to plug in to that box.  So hopefully they will be fine until we leave on Monday, because it is certainly too hot here to get by without A/C. 

We still have a couple of things on our agenda for this area so I'm not sure exactly what we are doing tomorrow.  I could use a day of rest, but Joe had that today, so he will be raring to go do something tomorrow, I'm sure.  So I guess I should get to bed!







No comments:

Post a Comment