Monday, July 4, 2011

Snorkeling at Key West

Sunday, July 3 - After a slow start this morning, we headed to the beach about noon.  Our camp host recommended a beach for us, so that's where we went -- Fort Zachary Taylor State Park and Beach.  It was better than the others we had seen here -- had some depth and not so weedy, but it was still a rocky beach.  Our boat shoes came in handy here. 


The water was fairly clear, so after we got wet, Joe decided was time to snorkel.  We both geared up, and he headed out to the rock wall, but I'm not the master snorkeler he is, so I paddled around on my noodle and tried to get used to breathing under water again.
We rented an umbrella and beach chairs, so we did some people-watching as we rested.  The group in front of us had 2 ladies wearing thong bikinis, so Joe got an eyefull there.  Last year we were looking at haliBUTs and halibut CHEEKS, but this year we had female butt cheeks on display.  I never did take a picture of them, I couldn't figure out how to do it inconspicuously, even though I doubt they would have cared.  I don't think being inconspicuous was their intent.
Our second time out, Joe headed over to a different set of rocks, and I finally mastered my equipment.  But then a storm blew in, and the beach emptied.

Even Snorkler Joe abandoned the water when he heard the thunder roll.
So we gathered up most of our stuff and headed up to the snackbar patio to eat some lunch and  wait it out.  It never did rain on us, and the storm finally moved on.  We had put our two noodles under the chair frame so they wouldn't blow away.  Next thing we knew, a group of young black guys were slapping them around out in the water, so I marched myself down there and got them back!   We finally were able to get back in the water, and this time I snorkeled with Joe all around the rocks.  We saw some neat fish.  One trip around was enough for me, but others had seen some big fish, so Joe went back around by himself.  He ended up with a pretty good sunburn on his back.

We left about 5:00 and headed back to camp.  After we took showers, we walked along our brick wall to the tiki bar here, where they had a barbeque going on, but their credit card machine was broken, and we didn't have that much cash, so we sat and listened to the band for a little while, then headed back to the RV and I fixed dinner.  By the time we ate, it was 8:00 and we were both tired, but we did sit outside for a few minutes (until the mosquitoes woke up at sunset) and enjoyed the view.
We had a good beach day.

No comments:

Post a Comment