Monday, May 24, 2021

Last Day in Spearfish

Monday - May 24, 2021

Our time here is done, and I think we did everything on our list here.  We got to spend a lot of time on forest roads, saw a lot of wildlife, all of which we liked.  Today was clean-up, maintenance and errands.  Joe lucked out at the dentist, dropped off his dentures shortly after 9:00 a.m., and picked them up at 2:00, with the tooth back in place.  He came back from the dentist this morning and replaced the return springs for the levelers on the RV.  He had a little trouble having enough room for leverage and ended up having to drive the RV up onto boards (which he carries with us) for more room.  But he got that done, another checkmark on the to-do list.


You can see the block under the tire in this one.

While Joe was at the dentist, I cleaned up the RV, vacuumed and got ready for my facetime call with my doctor, scheduled for 10:30.  By 11:15, with no call, I tried to call their office to confirm again, but the recording said there were 30 people in line on the phone, so I hung up.  I waited another 35 minutes, till almost noon, and finally gave up.  We had shopping to do at Walmart, so I decided to go ahead, and maybe they would still call.  We stopped at the gas station, and I went in for a soda while Joe filled up the jeep, forgot to take my phone with me.  Of course, the call came in then.  So I missed it.  I tried to call the facetime number back a couple times, but it was never answered.  So we went on and did our shopping, came back and gathered up the laundry, went to the laundromat just up the street while Joe went back to the dentist to pick up his dentures.  He got back just as I finished the laundry, so we found a Mexican restaurant and had a late lunch.  On the way back from there, we finally stopped at the fish hatchery across the street from the campground.  They stock rainbow and brown trout.  There is a bridge that crosses the creek into the grounds of the hatchery. 







The trout in the first pond were pretty good-sized.  This is their forever home, they are not stockers.  But we did see the ones they use for stockers, and the fingerlings, which they will use for stock next year.  

They had underground viewing windows so you could see the fish up close.  And a nice gift shop, of course.


We finally got back to the campground and I remembered to take a picture of the entrance.  This is a really nice campground, with Spearfish Creek running through and beside it. 
  

While I put the laundry away, Joe started unhooking things to get ready to move on tomorrow.  After that, we decided to go for a walk around the campground.  It was still windy, but a really nice day otherwise.  About 5:30, my phone rang, and it was the doctor's office, telling me that I had missed my TeleMed appointment.  When I told them I waited for it for an hour and 20 minutes, she didn't have too much to say.  I asked how long a person is expected to wait for the phone call, and she didn't think it should be an hour and 20 minutes.  She said the doctor must have gotten held up with something.  She was going to reschedule, but I told her just to cancel it and I would schedule with him when we got back home.

 We didn't have to leave the campground today to see wildlife.  Although we did see 4 deer out by Walmart, on our campground walk there were 3 turkeys mingled in with 3 geese and some ducks in the creek.  Later, 4 deer ran through the campground, and when I walked some trash down to the dumpster, 4 geese waddled by in front of the RV.  Of course, I didn't have my camera for any of this.

We are in pretty good shape to get out of here in the morning.  I think we have a little more than 200 miles to drive, to Medora, North Dakota, right outside of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  I hope North Dakota is as interesting as South Dakota has been.  



No comments:

Post a Comment