Wednesday, June 14, 2017

6/14/2017 - From Carson City to Reno

Wednesday - Time to move on, even though we only "moved on" 35 miles, to Reno.  Joe and I did a little shopping this morning before we left Carson City, and Dave and Mazie made a trip back to the bakery we located yesterday (same one as in Bishop).  We didn't leave Carson City until 11:50, after Dave filled up with propane and we all got hooked up.

We saw a few interesting sights along the way, but I didn't get pictures of everything.  There were silhouettes of deer beside the freeway right after we got on (580), but I didn't have the camera ready.  I always get excited when I see the Belgium Belted Cows (aka the Oreo Cookie Cow), and we passed a small herd of them.  I was ready this time, and got a couple of pictures -- not great, but better than nothing.


This next picture I found on the computer because I zoomed the camera in before I found the prospector in the viewfinder and never did find him.  Joe couldn't see him at all because he was down in the valley a little bit.  I was glad I came up with a picture, he was pretty cool.
 Image result for prospector statue along i-580

 It was only a 40-minute drive, and we got to our Reno campground at 12:30.  The Reno Rodeo comes to town tomorrow, so after we got situated and had some lunch, we drove out to the Livestock  Event Center and got tickets for the Extreme Bull Riding Thursday night, and the Rodeo itself for Friday night.  The cattle drive arrives here tomorrow around noon, so we are going to try to see that. We came back to camp and
played cards for a while -- our long drive today had worn us all out. But we decided to go out for a steak dinner tonight, so Joe found an Outback and that's where we ate.

We are camped right on the Truckee River, and it is running hard.  After we got back to camp after our big dinner, we walked down to check out the river.  We didn't think we needed to get our fishing poles out.



Joe found the horseshoe pit down here so he gathered up the shoes and tried his hand at pitching them (he didn't do very well).  I then took my turn, and I thought I did a little better than he did.  The photo was shooting into the sun, so it's not too good either.

So tomorrow we begin our exploration of Reno.  We will see what we can find of interest here.  And then we will go watch the bulls.  It's warming up, it was 54 when I got up this morning, and it was in the 80s here this afternoon.  I see Phoenix is forecast for 120 next Tuesday, so we are very thankful to be missing out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment