Friday, August 11, 2017

8/11/2017 - Leaving Washington, back to Oregon

Friday - Reluctantly, we left the shore of the Columbia River and journeyed south back into Oregon.  We got on the road about 9:20, after CAREFULLY backing out of our tight spaces, and crossed the state line at 10:42, traveling along the river again for several miles, and seeing at least one more ship on this stretch along I-5.  We reached our campground in Tulatin about 11:45 and got set up, then called Dixie and arranged to drive over to see her and Jim, and wait for the working folk to get home.  Joy and Rich got home about 5:30, and Rachel came in at the same time, so we had a good visit and then all went out for pizza.

Dixie had been busy gardening, and we got to see her terraced flower gardens.  I took the blackberry cobbler over but we didn't cut into it because Rich had baked a blackberry/blueberry pie yesterday and it was only partially eaten.  There are blackberries around their property and down the street as well.  Joe made a profound statement this afternoon -- he said if the Northwest had not ever gotten populated, he was sure it would have all just been covered with blackberry briars.

We made our arrangements to meet tomorrow at the Garlic Festival, then Joe and I returned home from the pizza place, missing one turn but finally getting home just before dark.  Traffic here in the Portland area is awful, we hope Saturday traffic is a little better.  I forgot to put my camera chip back in the camera this morning, so when I got ready to take a picture of crossing the bridge into Oregon, my camera didn't work.  So I just never got around to taking any pictures after that.  I'm sure I will make up for it at tomorrow's Festival.



No comments:

Post a Comment