Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Day 10 (last day) in vincennes

8-11-2021 - Monday

It started raining just after we went to bed last night, and it rained off and on all night and into Monday, until 2:00 p.m.  Mike Carter said we got about  3 inches of rain. Thunder woke me up a couple of times -- it sounded like it was right over our heads.  Didn't see any lightning, but we keep it pretty dark in the bedroom, with the windows covered, so maybe I just couldn't see the flashes, or maybe there wasn't any.

 We are finishing our final agenda items here -- picking up a "tombstone" in Montgomery for my aunt, and taking it to the cemetery at Princeton.  And meeting Stacey for lunch at an Amish restaurant in Montgomery.

We picked up the tombstone in the rain, looks great.  I'm glad to have this off my "to do" list, where it has been for several years.

 Stacey is always a hoot, and today was no exception.  She even bought lunch, and some cookies and Amish peanut butter for us to take with us.  Lunch was great, still raining.  She has a new car (which she got on her last vacation trip to visit son in Arkansas--who works at Red River Ford), but we didn't want to get wet so we didn't get to inspect it.

mouth open, as usual


Then it was off to Princeton to the cemetery.  I'm real happy with the tombstone.


We drove some of the backroads (muddy) around Patoka, then headed to Mike Carter's again.  I had taken an aerial photo of his farm and had it enlarged, so I took it down to him.  School starts tomorrow for him, and his schoolbus was parked in the driveway, all shined up for the first day of school.


I even got inside it.  It looked huge, and I asked Mike if it was bigger than the ones we used to ride in.  He said, yes, this is a 66 passenger one; our old ones were 44 passenger.  Mike said the backs of the seats are high now, and he can't see the kids.


    We went inside and visited with Mike and Donna for a while, then I did a little rock shopping.


I left with a pocketful, so I might get arrested again.  I even took my rock picker with me this time.  But Donna needed some rocks for Sunday School, and I helped her "pick" some, so that may keep me out of trouble with Mike.  Donna even used my rock picker.
When we left there, I directed Joe down to where we had the encounter with the fuel truck.  Joe said, "what were your girls even doing on this road?"  Well, we were going down memory lane, I guess.  Instead of turning around like Barbara did, we took the road on out, back to the "main" road.  It was very muddy.  This morning's heavy rain had washed the Jeep pretty good, but now it's worse than ever.

We headed back to the house -- Jaclyn had come out with the kids to say goodbye, and we all visited for a while.  Jaclyn brought me a keyboard for my phone that Adam had, and we messed with getting that set up.  Meanwhile, Clayton offered to run the Jeep to town to wash it, so Joe gave him $20 and he and Haley took off.  The Jeep looks good now, but Joe didn't get any change back.  LOL.

We are still undecided about our next destination, but I talked to Cathy and she suggested we come over to Bloomington to Lake Monroe for a few days, so that is probably where we will head tomorrow.  We have enjoyed our time here immensely and had great visits with family and friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment