Thursday, August 5, 2021

Terre Haute/Brazil - day 6

 8-5-2021 - Thursday

today would have been my mother's 97th birthday, so happy heavenly to Mom. 

today was sort of a happy/sad day.  we drove to brazil for lunch with Amy, the daughter of one of my best friends, Diane Braden, who I lost to covid in October.  we had the opportunity to share memories and talk about Diane, her life and her death.  I so appreciated Amy meeting us, and then we followed her to the cemetery to Diane's gravesite.  Very sad. But Amy looks wonderful and it was great to get to see her.


On a happier note, we drove from there into Terre Haute, past the house we built (which is looking very good).  They even paved the road in front of our old house.

the garage and lot beside the house

Our next stop was a visit with Audrey Williams, my long-ago babysitter and the "second" mother to my kids.  She just turned 80 last month and has her share of health problems, but is looking good.  We had a good visit, caught up on our kids and her kids, grandkids and, for her, great grandkids.  She has a "picture gallery" of her kids that takes up an entire corner of her living room.  



I asked her how many "babysat" kids she had "raised," and she said she had counted them up, and it was 275!!  wow.  Some were short-term, but many were long-term and, like ours, lifelong friends.  She is quite a lady.
(see how much taller I got this afternoon.)

Joe took off and drove around Terre Haute while I finished my visit with Audrey.  When he called and said he was in the parking lot, I told Audrey that he probably didn't think he could find her apartment again, so she laughed and said she would walk down with me.  We had a nice visit.

We headed back to Vincennes, stopped at the other Bobe's Pizza (on 6th street) for dinner, shopped a little at Kohl's, and got home about 8:00.  Oh, we also drove through that campground and found out we can dump there by just pulling into a campsite and hooking up to the sewer there -- they do not have a separate dump station.  I don't think we have run into that before, but at least we now have a plan when we leave.

A busy day, but a good day, and another checkmark on my list here.  The weather continues to be good, although there is a slight chance of rain in the next few days.    

No comments:

Post a Comment